12 Gay Actors Who Play Straight Characters

« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Acting is all about adopting an imagined mindset and matching the external behaviors of the character portrayed. Even today, certain recesses of society has marked homosexuality as taboo, forcing gay actors to conform to public’s norm. However, nowadays, many gay actors are open about their sexuality and only pretend to be straight when the camera is rolling on a straight character.

1. Neil Patrick Harris
    The swagger, style and general coolness of Barney Stinson, character in CBS sitcom, How I Met Your Mother lines up perfectly with actor Neil Patrick Harris’s overall public persona. But, while Barney is an unashamed pick-up artist and womanizer, Harris is in a committed relationship with actor David Burtka.

2. Jodie Foster
    Saying she’s fought for privacy since being a child star as a young prostitute in Taxi Driver, Foster finally acknowledged her former life partner, Sydney Bernard in her speech at the 2013 Gordon Globes.

3. Ian McKellen
    While Gandalf transcends sexuality as a wise wizard, Mckellan has been openly gay for years, and publicly mentioned it on the talk show Anderson.

4. Cynthia Nixon
    Cynthia Nixon portrayed Miranda Hobbes in famed Sex and the City, in which four female friends search New York City for sex, men, and happiness. In real life, Nixon’s search for love ended up including a member of the same sex, since coming out as bisexual. Nixon, now married to Christine Marinoni, explained, “I’ve been with men all my life, and I’d never fallen in love with a woman. But when I did, it didn’t seem so strange. I’m just a woman in love with another woman.”

5. Lily Tomlin
    Lily Tomlin plays the wife and one half of the philosophical duo with Dustin Hoffman, among many other heterosexual appearances. In real life, Tomlin has been with Jane Wagner since 1971.

6. Jim Parsons
    Best known for playing Sheldon Cooper on CBS’s The Big Bang Theory, Jim Parson also played a character dating Zach Braff’s character’s mom in Garden State. In reality, Parsons doesn’t date women at all. He came out in 2012, revealing he’s been in a relationship with a man for 10 years.

article-0-16F5655F000005DC-880_468x586

7. Victor Garber
    Though he’s played straight roles in Sleepless in Seattle, Legally Blonde, and Alias, Victor Garber has been open about his sexuality, coming out publicly in 2012.
    8. Matt Bomer
    In 2009, Bomer landed his first leading role as heartthrob con-man, Neal Caffrey, who falls in love with beautiful women while internally struggling between choosing a clean life over a criminal one. In reality, Bomer is happily married to publicist Simon Halls.

0 replies since 12/6/2015, 18:09   118 views